Monday, January 20, 2014

MLK

Today I am thankful for MLK. Not only for my own selfish reasons, (a day off of school, slow mornings with 2 cups of coffee, time to bake cookies(!), etc.) but also because of the change he inspired.

Living in an area where this part of history truly affected people brings a new perspective. I work with a woman who went to school here when the schools were segregated. The history is more real to me now. Reading "Martin's Big Words" to my students felt special this year. It felt important to teach them about his life, the changes that have been made, and to talk about how more change needs to happen. I am thankful for the opportunity to have these discussions with children. I hope that I can be a positive influence for them everyday.

"We must remember that intelligence is not enough. Intelligence plus character –- that is the goal of true education." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment